CHECK ON THEM – ADAMSON URGES CONSTITUENTS TO CHECK ON OLDER FAMILY MEMBERS & NEIGHBOURS
Motherwell & Wishaw MSP Clare Adamson last week hosted a drop-in session at the Scottish Parliament which focussed on keeping older family members and neighbours safe this winter.
The event was held by charity Electrical Safety First, who were promoting their #checkonthem campaign – urging people across Scotland to check on older neighbours or relatives to ensure that they using electrical appliances safely this winter. The Charity has developed a range of tools and guides to help keep people safe, including an app which allows householders to do a visual electrical safety check in their home.
Although older people in North Lanarkshire aged 60 plus make up 22% of the population, they account for a significant number of the casualties involving electricity. Given the vast majority of fires in homes in North Lanarkshire being caused by electricity – 232 during last year alone – and our population being an ageing one – it’s a problem that needs to be urgently addressed, particularly during the winter months. Many older people worry about winter heating bills, often using portable heaters and electric blankets to cut costs – but these appliances have caused a number of house fires, mainly through misuse.
Electrical Safety First have issued guides and developed an app, all of which are available on their website www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk
Commenting, Clare Adamson said:
“Most electrical fires are caused by simple mistakes that can easily be avoided. It is important that we are all aware of the unique risks posed during winter time, particularly to our older friends and relatives”.
“As Convenor of the Cross Party Group on Accident Prevention and Safety Awareness at the Scottish Parliament, I follow closely the work carried out by Electrical Safety First across Scotland. This particular campaign is vital – 232 fires in North Lanarkshire were attributed to electricity in the last year alone.”
“I would urge all constituents to read the guides or download the app developed by Electrical Safety First on safe use of electrical appliances this winter, check on our older relatives to make sure they are using their appliances safely, and spread the word using the hashtag #checkonthem.”