http://www.scottishparliament.tv/20160906_debate?in=01:36:28&out=01:47:04

 

 

MOTHERWELL & WISHAW MSP HOSTS GAS INDUSTRY SAFETY EVENT

Clare Adamson MSP, Convenor of the Cross Party Group on Accident Prevention and Safety Awareness, last week hosted the Institution of Gas Engineers and Managers event at the University of Edinburgh, as part of the annual Gas Safety Week campaign.

Gas Safety Week is a national safety campaign –  coordinated by Gas Safe Register – which provides a platform for the gas industry, consumer organisations and individuals to raise awareness about gas safety issues. This year, the campaign is focussing on raising awareness about the number of homes who current do not have a carbon monoxide alarm. Nearly half (46%) of the Nation’s Homes currently don’t have a CO alarm, which could leave more than 12 million households across the UK at risk from CO poisoning. 

The IGEM event focussed on SGN’s study into Appliance Servicing and Installation. This covers the results of an extensive programme of safety inspections in 4 towns across Scotland – part of a wider project on gas quality. A team of Gas Safe Registered Engineers inspected nearly 8,000 properties and almost 11,000 appliances, providing a unique insight into appliance health, servicing and messaging around carbon monoxide.

IGEM (Institution of Gas Engineers & Managers) is a chartered professional body, licensed by the Engineering Council, serving a wide range of professionals in the UK and the international gas industry through Membership, events and a comprehensive set of Technical Standards.

Commenting, Ms Adamson said:

“It was fantastic to host IGEM’s event for Gas Safety Week which focussed on a recent SGN study into gas appliance health, servicing and messaging.”

“As Convenor of the Cross Party Group on Accident Prevention and Safety Awareness at the Scottish Parliament, I have the privilege of working alongside organisations who dedicate themselves to raising awareness of gas safety matters all year round.”

“It is absolutely vital that householders across Scotland have their gas appliances regularly serviced by a suitably-qualified engineer and ensure that they have a fully-functioning carbon monoxide alarm fitted in their home.”

ENDS

Copyright 2015 Clare Adamson MSP

TwitterFacebook