http://www.scottishparliament.tv/20160906_debate?in=01:36:28&out=01:47:04

 

 

 

 

CLARE ADAMSON MSP WELCOMES GAS SAFETY WEEK FOCUS ON CARBON MONOXIDE ALARMS

Clare Adamson MSP, Convenor of the Cross Party Group on Accident Prevention and Safety Awareness, has welcomed Gas Safety Week, which runs from 28-24 September 2017.

Gas Safety Week is a national safety campaign –  coordinated by Gas Safe Register – which provides a platform for the gas industry, consumer organisations and individuals to raise awareness about gas safety issues.

Gas Safety Week was first launched in 2011 and has taken place annually ever since. Last year over 6,000 supporters took part in Gas Safety Week to help raise awareness of Gas Safety.  This year, 7,632 companies and organisations have signed up to be part of Gas Safety Week 2017 so far.

This year, the campaign is focussing on raising awareness about the number of homes who current do not have a carbon monoxide alarm. Nearly half (46%) of the Nation’s Homes currently don’t have a CO alarm, which could leave more than 12 million households across the UK at risk from CO poisoning.  

Commenting, Ms Adamson said:

“Gas Safety Week is an extremely important campaign to raise awareness of gas safety issues across the UK. As Convenor of the Cross Party Group on Accident Prevention and Safety Awareness at the Scottish Parliament, I have the privilege of working alongside organisations who dedicate themselves to raising awareness of gas safety matters all year round.”

“This year, Gas Safety Week is focussing on raising awareness of carbon monoxide poisoning. The symptoms of headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse, dizziness and loss of consciousness are often misdiagnosed. With a CO2 alarm fitted, people should become aware of a carbon monoxide leak before these symptoms manifest themselves.”

“Gas Safe Registers website provides information on how many faulty appliances have been found across the UK. I was shocked to read that 288 faulty appliances reported in ML2 postcodes and 365 faulty appliances were reported in ML1 postcodes.”     

“I would urge everyone across Scotland to follow the three safety tips issued by Gas Safe Register in order to keep them and their loved ones safe in their home. Check appliances annually, know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and only employ a Gas Safe Engineer to inspect or maintain your appliances.”

ENDS

 

 

Copyright 2015 Clare Adamson MSP

TwitterFacebook